MENTORING & COACHING
PWG offers its members mentoring opportunities. This program is a great opportunity for both mentees and mentors alike and aims to support women/girls in different sectors including their careers, business, start-up entrepreneurship and students by bridging the gap between academic learning and work experiences, and developing soft skills and confidence.
THE OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM ARE TO:
- Support the development of career plans and goals
- Build critical skills, and encourage networking
WHAT IS MENTORING?
A mentor, in simple words, is someone who offers their knowledge, expertise and advice to those with less experience. By leveraging their experience and skills, mentors guide mentees in the right direction. A mentor helps mentees consider opportunities for career growth, gain confidence and improve interpersonal skills.
Mentoring is a professional relationship between the mentee and the mentor whereby the mentee benefits from the experience, skills and networks of the mentor. It operates for a specific period and has clear objectives.
Your role as a mentor is to develop essential skills by asking the mentee to reflect on their experiences and abilities, using your experiences to give contextual examples and facilitate progress towards goals. The Mentoring programme is focused on personal development and career development.
Mentees have the opportunity to:
- Increase their knowledge and skills and build confidence in targeted areas
- Gain perspectives and insights from more experienced leaders or technical experts
- Build relationships ,gain exposure and build networks within the institution
- Increase knowledge of different job functions and career paths
- Gain insights into organizational culture
- Build their competencies, especially collaborate within teams and across boundaries and create, apply and share knowledge
The focus of a mentoring partnership can be on different topical areas, as determined by the Mentee including:
- Sector knowledge, technical skills
- Power and Influence
- Leadership or management skills
- Interpersonal or business skills
- General career and personal development
- Executive presence
- Personal branding or reputation
- Strategic thinking
Mentors also benefit by being able to:
- Develop leadership skills such as coaching and giving feedback
- Enhance ability to work with mentee to address variety of development needs
- Get exposure to diverse perspectives and approaches outside their team
- Gain access to new information channels and networks
- Increase awareness of available talent
- Gain better understanding of issues faced by more junior professionals
- Build leadership competencies, especially: influencing across boundaries,
- Fostering openness to new ideas, and building talent for the future
- Contribute to developing the new generation of leaders
- Gain fresh perspective and new insights
Skills for the mentee and mentor’s
Skills useful for the mentee and mentor’s personal development: analytical, writing, communication, presentation, leadership development, cross-culture competencies, influence and negotiation.
Duration of the Program
PWG is organizing a 6-8 month mentorship program. An expert will train selected mentors before they begin. Mentors will receive a certificate qualifying them to be mentors. A mentorship guide has also been developed to guide the Program.
Who can apply
Ten applicants will receive free mentorship; priority will be given to paid members of PWG. Thereafter a minimal fee will be charged to cover administration costs.
Has this awoken your interest to join the Program?
Together we can encourage the next generation of female leaders. Girls and young women often look to the women in their lives for cues about how to think and act. When we speak confidently, take risks, and own our accomplishments, we set positive examples for girls to follow. There are countless opportunities every day to help girls gain the confidence and skills they need to grow and take the lead. (Lean In)
A life coach encourages and counsels clients on a range of professional and personal issues. Life coaching is distinct from giving advice, consulting, counseling, mentoring and administering therapy. You would hire a coach to help you with specific professional projects, personal goals and transitions. PWG has a number of certified life coaches available to assist and provide coaching at a fee. Several members have benefitted from these services and advanced in their career, life goals, and visions.
If you are interested in coaching, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Group coaching: This maybe organized on specific topics e.g financial literacy, and specific areas professional development, and is a service offered mainly to members.